Sunday, September 8, 2013

When Chocolate and Root beer fell In Love

      I don't know when Chocolate fell in Love with Root beer or even when Peanut butter Divorced Chocolate. Maybe Peanut butter Divorced chocolate because She was having a affair with root beer! I don't know how Chocolate ended up Single but Thank God she Did.....
   
            In all seriousness I don't know who had the brillant idea of mixing chocolate and root beer flavor.  It could be a lot like the commercials of how Peanut butter and chocolate started chilling together. Maybe some spilled their fizzy root beer onto their Chocolate cupcake and didn't want to waste a single bit of their cupcake so ate it anyways.?
Who Really Knows. I just know it is a match made in Heaven and one I will happily Cook with!
 My latest adventure with that lovely marriage of flavor is Chocolate Root Beer Sugar Cookies...
It's a rare thing to see Chocolate sugar cookies in the first place but add root beer in there. I personally have never seen or heard of them in Saskatchewan but as I was rooting around in my spice cupboard for the Vanilla extract and stumbled upon my root beer extract. My brain blew back to when I made a super moist chocolate root beer cake and how John loved it and basically ate it in one day... I may of helped with eating in it one day.  In that moment I said Screw Vanilla.Bring on the root beer! Not for a second do I regret that decision. In fact at the end of my Blog, I'll include the recipe for these bad boys. You can thank me Later!

            As everyone who talks to me regularly knows...So mostly my boss.... that John is coming home soon! Like Really Soon. Tonight is his last shift then instead of going to bed, He is boarding a      chopper and flying to Fort Nelsen where he then is driven to Fort Saint John. There him and a coworker drive my Lily Home! In theory He'll be rolling in sometime on Wednesday because in theory he has to sleep at some point.... sleep is over rated I tell you.
As I try to Patiently. I'm trying to make everything perfect for when he is home. And I'm not talking about a clean Sparkling home or a good smelling Taz or that I'll be looking my Best. I a  m of course talking about the Food. Attempting to think of the Perfect things to feed him and have some of it ready so I don't have to spend hours working in the kitchen when I could be spending time with him.  And as most of you know I'm not big on Premade Store bought foods except the random pizza pop but i think that has something to do with Fond memories of a certain friend in high school. Last week I whipped up a batch Sausage and cheese bites and froze them unbaked so I can just pop them in the oven at 250 and bake for about 20minutes, I made up the honey mustard sauce so we can dip them, I plan to make tortillas for tacos one day. and I have things chopped up for making Tomato soup to go with some Grilled cheese. I'm not done planning yet though.
        Since John was in Camp for his birthday, I am making his birthday things for the day he gets home. On the menu for that day. Lobster and Shrimp Tomato sauce on fresh made Garlic Noodles with a Smores cake for Dessert.  Unforgettably since I am such a Cook Dork. I am making everything from Scratch.
The Cake itself which is two layers of Graham flavored goodness and two layers of Fudgey brownie. Then covered in a roasted marshmallow frosting. So I really had to get my Butt in Gear.
Last week I mixed up a homemade batch of Marshmallow fluff which will take part in the frosting. I also made up a batch of graham cookies then almost sobbed as I tossed them in the blender and ground them up.... They go into the graham cake part. I baked up my layers today. The fudgey ones smell amazing but I am a little iffed about the graham ones. The batter didn't Look and in my mind, Didn't bake right but since I have never made the recipe before. I really don't know. I will find out on Wednesday when I get to dig into it. Tomorrow I will be whipping up a batch of marshmellows while attempting to resist the urge on making them Pink. When they are done. I am roasting them, adding them to my marshmellow Creme/Fluff  and frosting the cake. I'll top it with Roasted marshmellows, Broken up graham crackers and drizzle it with Chocolate. Pictures are for sure to Follow on Facebook and if you are one of the lucky few, you may get to taste the cake...


Chocolate RootBeer Sugar Cookies.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups (375 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup (60 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
  • 1/2 cup (115 grams) brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoon Root Beer extract
Instructions
  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a bowl with a hand mixer, beat the butter and sugars on high until pale and creamy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
  2. In a separate bowl, sift together the cocoa powder, flour, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Place half of the dough on a sheet of plastic wrap. Use the plastic to form the dough into a disk and wrap completely. Repeat with second half. Chill dough for 1 hour and up to a few days.
  3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
  4. Wrap one disk of dough and use a floured rolling pin roll out on a sheet of parchment paper to 1/4-inch thick. Transfer parchment paper to a large plate or sheet pan and chill for 15 minutes. Cut out the chilled dough into desired shapes and place on the prepared sheet pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
  5. Bake cookies just until the edges are firm, 13-16 minutes depending on the size of your cookies. Do not over bake. Since the cookies are dark in color it may be difficult to see when they are done, so you may wish to bake a few test cookies to be sure you get the timing right.


No comments:

Post a Comment